My absolute favorite time of the year is finally here! FALL! Sundays during the fall in our house are dedicated to family time, church, football and, of course, comfort food. Nothing pairs better with family snuggles and football than good ol’ chili!
I wanted to share my recipe for my favorite chili! The best part about this chili is that it’s only 1 point per serving on WW Freestyle and the serving size is very generous and super filling. (Read here How I Follow Weight Watchers Freestyle for Less than A QUARTER of the Cost!) So let’s get to it!
1 lb. – lean ground turkey (98-99% lean)
1/2 yellow onion (diced)
2 tsp – minced garlic
2 cans (8 oz each) – tomato sauce
2 cups – water
1 packet – chili seasoning mix
1 can (15.5 oz) – fire roasted diced tomatoes
1 can (15.5 oz) – black beans
1 can (15.5 oz) – pinto beans
1 can (15.5 oz) – red kidney beans
1/2 large or 1 small – bell pepper
1 bag (12 oz) – frozen corn
salt & pepper to taste
chili powder to taste
hot sauce to taste ( I prefer Frank’s original, but use any kind you like. If you prefer a mild chili, then feel free to skip this step)
Suggested toppings: fat free shredded cheddar cheese (1/4 cup for 0 points), nonfat plain Greek yogurt (0 points – this is in place of sour cream and you honestly can’t tell the difference), and more hot sauce if you like it spicy!
This recipe makes 8-10 servings, each about 1 to 1 1/2 cups.
You may add more water and/or tomato sauce if you prefer a more broth-y chili and adjust the serving sizes and points accordingly, but I like mine a little on the chunky side.
P.S. You can have up to 1/5 of the entire recipe for 1 point.
1 Point Slow Cooker Chili WW Freestyle
Prep time – 20-30 minutes
Cook time – 5 hours (on low)
Servings – 8-10, about 1-1.5 cups each
Prep (day before or day of):
- Dice onion and bell pepper
- Brown and drain ground turkey in a pan. Then adjust heat to medium-low and add garlic and onion. Sauté until onion begins to soften. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat. (If prepping the day before, refrigerate turkey mixture.)
- Add tomato sauce, water, and chili seasoning mix to slow cooker and whisk/stir to incorporate.
- Add fire roasted tomatoes, turkey mixture, and bell pepper.
- Drain and rinse all beans, then add to the slow cooker.
- Cover the top of the chili with one hefty layer of chili powder*. Stir to incorporate.
- Cook on “low” for 4 hours. Add frozen corn and hot sauce to taste (I probably used about 1/2 cup and it’s got a “medium” kick to it.) Continue cooking on low for an additional hour.
*If you’re nervous about adding too much, start with a light layer, then taste when you add the corn and add more if it needs more flavor.
And that’s it! It’s so simple and hearty – perfect for those fall and winter days when you need a little comfort food. Bonus – it makes the house smell sooooo yummy.
Refrigerate leftovers and reheat in the microwave. The leftovers are perfect for low-point lunches throughout the week!
Hope you enjoy! Please leave me a comment below if you tried it. I’d love to know how you liked it!